Friday, November 5, 2010

New Beginnings





As a child my dad took me to church regularly, I attended Sunday school, Vacation bible school, and Church camps. At one of those camps when I was 8/9 I was Saved & followed a few weeks later in Baptism. As a teen I went to church with my Grandparents, or different area churches with friends or the boy of my interest at the time. At 15/16, I started going to a different church in town with a friend and his mother to Awanas. I became a member there and went regularly on Wednesday & Sundays. I was raised in church.



My husband is a different story. He wasn’t raised in church. He went as a teen with a friend and he told me he was baptized but didn’t go to services often. He was burned by a statement made by the “preacher” that “he didn’t like the loud money he liked the quiet money in the offering plate”, which made it sound like it was more about what you had to give vs gain.



We have talked about religion and church before. He doesn’t like the organized “church” part. The people there seem too “happy” and almost “fake” to him. No one can be that happy he says. A reference I’ve heard is “a Christian without a church is no less a Christian, as a car is no less a car without a garage it’s still a car”.




He believes in God & the bible, but he wants to try to take things literally, example “the talking donkey” he wants to know how or why that could happen. Its hard to explain miracles and Faith with answers of “Just because” & “I don’t know why but it just is”. He feels since it was written by men that it could be embellished or reworded to make a good read. Its hard for me to explain that these men were led by God in there words and writings.




I’ve gone to services over the years but not anything like I should. I always have one excuse or another and of course none are excusable but an excuse none the less. I know I need to set a better example for the kids. The kids went to Awanas regularly before the fire in March but not a lot since then. They have started back as of this last Wednesday.




With that rambling back story complete: Last week, Rob & I were texting as we usually do. I work days and he works 2nd shift so its our only way of communicating during the week. He has told me about dreams/nightmares he has had about me coming home and telling him I never loved him that I couldn’t stand the sight of him and that I was leaving him. He would wake up scared and check to see if I was still in bed. More recently he said they have been really dark and evil, not anything I care to repeat but when he told me, he felt I wouldn’t believe him or think that he was crazy.




I asked did he ever think about going to church when he had these dark feelings? He said no should I? I suggested that it wouldn’t hurt. After my suggestion he said he felt sick at the thought of going. Side note: we watch a lot of paranormal shows & horror movies so he chalked up his dreams to all that. I told him that if these dark things in his mind knew they had a hold of him then why wouldn’t they flaunt it and make him believe things that made him sad and hurt. That is there agenda after all.




The next day we were talking again and he told me he had put on his late step father’s cross necklace and his Saint Michael pendant in his pocket and said he felt lifted and GREAT, he had worked on his car for 2.5 hours and didn’t cuss once. He told me he felt so good and that he wanted to go to church on Sunday and be baptized that day if possible & start going every week. He talked to a friend he works with about it, who attends the church where the kids go to Awanas & that helped with the donations after our fire. The days between these events and Sunday I could tell he was “different” he talked different, he walked differently, he texts differently now. I love this different! I loved him before but this is different!




Sunday morning We went to church as a family, during the Invitation he went forward with his friend & received Christ publicly & joined the church. In a few weeks he will be baptized again only this time he knows why.






Most of us begin this New Beginning as Children, but it is never too Late to start.

No comments:

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker